Monday, April 1, 2013

Day 1 of Michelle in Belize




I am sitting at Mayawalk, a restaurant in San Ignacio while blogging this first day in Belize. We are here for the week, and boy is it hot!!!! We started out the day by flying out of NC headed to Atlanta and then on to Belize City. One of the pictures posted is of the clouds over Belize before landing. Once we landed the heat was a shocker, and I haven't stopped sweating so far.

We had a great tour guide/driver that told us about the country side on our way from the airport to San Ignacio. I've included a picture of one of the houses along the way. After not eating all day, the group decide to stop at a place called Amigos; great place and we at authentic (local) food. As you can see by the picture of my plate it was delicious.  The meals consist of lots of rice and beans with stewed chicken. The side was potato salad that was sweet with cooked carrots. I also had fresh watermelon juice that was sooooooo refreshing.

After eating we continued down the road and saw many interesting and saw the following:  mahogany trees (Belize's national tree), the central prison for the entire county (1400 prisoners), graves that we learned are only 3 feet deep and the rest of the grave is above ground, and many, many fruit stands. Our driver, Alvin, stopped at one of the fruit stands and got us some fresh pineapple.

Now back to San Ignacio and the Mayawalk!!! I'm finishing up my blog and back to the hotel that has no AC. Stay tuned for our ATM tour of caves story tomorrow.

By the way I really miss my family and friends, especially since my phone does not work.





4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made it safely! Sounds like you're already off to a great start. Looking forward to more of your adventures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep us posted. Sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are doing well! The cave excursion looked awful when I looked it up on youtube! Be safe, I made up this blogspot profile just to be able to post back!

    ReplyDelete