Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Day 2 of Michelle in Belize

Ok, let's see what has happened since yesterday. We did find out that the AC works in the hotel for $10 American dollars per night. Needless to say we are paying every night for this luxury!!! Electricity is very expensive; something we don't think about that much. So that is the "boring" stuff. 




This morning we got up and traveled at least 1 hour to a place called the ATM Cave Tour, #1 on the Discovery Channel's things to do. Before we started, the group stopped at a store to use the restroom and as you can see from my picture we had to pay $1 Belize money which is 50 cents American. I've also included a picture of some little kids at the store that I talked to. 

There is no way to describe what I went through during this 3-4 hour adventure inside of a cave filled with water and jagged rocks. I am just going to list a few of the horrifying experiences:
  • Jumping into deep water way over my head and having to swim across to the other side and crawl up the bank on my stomach
  • Wading through water up to my shoulder in the dark with my hand on a group members shoulder...I cried the entire 15-20 minutes which seemed like an hour!!!!
  • Each time I thought it could not get any worse it did. Next we had to climb up a rock about 15 feet and crawl up, take our shoes off and continue in our socks!!!
  • Explanation for socks only is so we did not ruin the artifacts
  • Now we had to spend hours listening to the spiritual rituals of the Mayans while looking at clay pots and skeletons. The entire time I could only think about how I was going to get out of this place. 
  • Please remember I'm still in my socks, and now there is a ladder that we have to climb. I wanted to cry again, but I did not. Once climbing the ladder, we looked at more clay pots. The big issue was coming down; it was horrible. Now we are headed out, the same way we came in. 
  • This does not sound that bad, but there is now way to make it sound as bad as it was. 
  • Oh, I forgot about almost having a heat stroke and having to sit down in the middle of the cave with the guide pouring water on my head for about 15 minutes. How embarrassing with 7 other people watching!!!
  • There is a link above that will show you a tour, because we could not take in cameras. Also, I forgot to tell you we had to cross (wade through) 3 rivers during our 45 minute hike before even starting our cave tour. 
  • Pics below of scenery while traveling in to the site. 




Once this horrible experience was over, we were headed back to San Ignacio and back to the Mayawalk for dinner. I had a porterhouse steak that was suppose to be wonderful, but it was so tough that I could hardly chew it. By the way, the picture below is of one of our many friends that joined us for dinner.
Oh, also I'm including a picture of our entertainment for the night.

4 comments:

  1. So excited for you!! How amazing the food sounds and not so sure about the cave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like something off of a movie! I would have loved to hear the stories, but I guess I would have missed it because I couldn't have swam in the water, even if it was only to my knees! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks like a fun adventure

    ReplyDelete