Saturday, April 6, 2013

Day 3 of Michelle in Belize

Caracol--Mayan Ruins

Well, today we got up and ate breakfast at Flayvas, which consisted of fresh bananas, papaya, watermelon, and oranges (all grown locally).  Afterwards we started on our 3-hour drive to Caracol. Of course the group wanted to stop and look at another cave called Rio Frio. I’ve inserted pictures of inside the cave, but I chose to not go in very far. Most everyone is excited about these adventures, but I am scared to death!!




Now we were off again to the Mayan Ruins in Caracol, but had a little snag; the van had 2 flat tires. Luckily, a logging truck came by and helped change the tires. I had visions of us dying from lack of water out in the middle of nowhere in Belize.  Since I am writing this blog you know that I did not die of lack of water. Finally, we arrived at Caracol and went to look at the Mayan ruins. During our tour I learned about the historical culture of the Mayans. It is amazing to think of all the work and effort put into the dwellings without the use of modern technology. 



I respect the culture and the history of the Mayans but I decided to let George the driver take me on a tour of the jungle around the ruins. He told me about the plants and animals around the area. Below is a fruit (I will look up the name later and post) that I ate. There was not that much meat and a lot of seed. The other picture shows a strangler fig literally killing the tree. The scenery was absolutely wonderful, and very peaceful. 






The next part of the trip involved climbing down a very, very steep mountain and watching the rest of the group jump from a cliff into the water. I really tried to go down, but physically and emotionally unable to accomplish the task. I went back to where the van was and rested by some horses tied up. When the group returned they were full of exciting stories. Below is a picture of the sun setting at the end of a fun filled day.











4 comments:

  1. Love the picture of the ruins, looks amazing! Hope to see more

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are amazing! I am so proud of you for attempting all of these exciting and scary adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about facing your fears! Oh, and I just love your wry sense of humor! - " Since I am writing this blog you know that I did not die of lack of water." You are too much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looking forward to the bobcats trip when you come back '')

    ReplyDelete